Friday, September 2, 2011

Got my head in the cloud(s)...

As I mentioned in my last post, I'm not quite sure that tablet computing is right for me. I think my Xoom runs Android very well, but even with an external bluetooth keyboard I don't feel that I could use just my Xoom for everything I want to do. Case in point, I want to start an online Master's degree program next year at Arizona State University. I will be traveling a lot for work, so I need a portable system. As I mentioned in my last blog post, the current version of Android for tablets is not ideal for school work, or work work for that matter. My trusty netbook has served me well, but it's processor is fairly slow and even running Ubuntu it's definitely not fast. And don't get me started on the annoyance of having to reload my wireless drivers after every system update. So I want a new laptop...I would love a new MacBook Air...but $1100 is a lot of money.

So I started looking at newer netbooks and lightweight laptops and while on Amazon's website I came across the Chromebook. If you aren't familiar, it's a laptop (made by Acer or Samsung, your choice between two similar machines) which costs between $350 and $500 depending on make and model that runs Google's Chrome OS. Chrome OS is an operating system based on Linux, but the only user interface is the Chrome browser...almost identical to the Chrome browser many of us use on Windows, Mac, and Linux machines. It's essentially a terminal for cloud computing...most (but not all) of your data will be stored in the cloud...think gmail, Google docs, Google calendar, et al. It's a radical departure from the current operating system/software applications paradigm that has been the foundation of personal computing since the Apple II.

I think I'm a good candidate for a Chromebook...most everything I do on my personal computers involves the internet. In addition to the more common google services that I use everyday, I am regularly on Google+, Youtube, Pandora, Cnet, Engadget, Facebook, Twitter, and numerous other news and information websites. I generally don't play computer games, and I use Microsoft office only when I have to. I do use iTunes and iPhoto on my Mac, but I also use Picasa. However, most of the authors of the online reviews I read think I shouldn't get a Chromebook. Most said the Samsung Chromebook was very well made, but too expensive for what it was capable of. Most reviews also said Chrome OS was a great idea that wasn't ready for the mainstream. David Pogue, whom I admire greatly, was less than enthused in his Chromebook review for the New York Times. There were a few writers who thought the machines were not only a great idea, but were great at doing what they were designed to do. Dana Wollman at Engadget wrote a very positive and, in my opinion, unbiased review of the Samsung Chromebook that you can read here.

After reading all the reviews I could find, the big question I have to ask myself is this: Is cloud computing right for me? Can I use a machine that, with little exception, can only be used when it has a wi-fi or 3G connection to the Internet? Can I use a machine that has limited local file storage options? Can I live without (gasp!) Microsoft Office? In order to answer these questions, I've decided to run my very own Geek experiment. Starting yesterday, I'm going to attempt to live "in the cloud" for two weeks. For two weeks I will only use my Chrome browser and it's associated apps and extensions for my personal computing needs. I do have a work laptop running XP that I will undoubtedly have to use in the course of my daily duties, but if I don't need it then I won't use it...thanks Microsoft Webmail!! If I can successfully live in the cloud exclusively for two whole weeks, then I will purchase a shiny new Samsung Series 5 Chromebook and retire my netbook.  Besides, Arizona State University's online campus says they encourage using Google Docs because it's so easy for students to collaborate. So who knows, perhaps the Chromebook will make the ideal partner in my higher education endeavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment